Happy Holidaze and all that jive!
Busy time of the year, but will load it in Hornresp soon, though it's large enough to use many of the vintage 15" drivers and some of their modern 'clones' along with a few modern 18".
I have bought a pair of cabinets. Some old project for altec 416, or Tad 1601. This is all the info I have , from the seller. Can somebody help me to investigate wich is the driver more suitable to the enclosure?
Dimensions external :120cm(47.24) tall, 76.2cm (30)wide, bottom deep 59cm(23.22), top deep 51cm(20), 21mm BB ply
The port is 9cm from the bottom 28cm(11)/8cm(3.14)
Center of the speaker is 45cm(17.7) from the bottom.
The position of the speaker and the port are just drownings on the plywood, not cut. There is a 18 inch plywood tractrix 2 inch horn mounted 8cm(3.14)over the speaker position drawings .
Regards!!
Last edited by dimitrov; December 21st, 2023 at 04:17 AM.
Happy Holidaze and all that jive!
Busy time of the year, but will load it in Hornresp soon, though it's large enough to use many of the vintage 15" drivers and some of their modern 'clones' along with a few modern 18".
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Thank you ,GM!!
Huge cabs they are! I calculate 14.96 internal volume. My room is 7x6x2.9 meters. The interior requires, position of cabs to be 1.6m from the 6 meters wall measured from the front of the cabinets , with 50inch TV between them
NOTE !!
I hate Fb and am having a devil of a time with AUB to the point where this is my last post here, so please follow me at DIYaudio/Loudspeakers from now on: https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/-/list#loudspeakers.22
Hope all had a pleasant/safe holiday so far as between the world and local news I'm starting to feel guilty about having it so good, all things considered....... Hotlanta use to be one of America's safest big cities, but lately been afraid to even go to the grocery store alone as seniors have increasingly become 'easy pickins' for kids even in the historically secure middle class locales.
Regardless, at a glance, ~421 L/14.86747 ft^3 less driver, bracing, so ~410.6 L/14.5 ft^3, 50.65 cm i.d. deep
vent area = 224 cm^2 x 2.1 cm long = ~33.6 Hz Fb (basic reflex)
Cab looks good for both the Altec/GPA 416-8B and TAD 1601B (no longer have the 'A' specs or find in a quick Google search) once 'critically' damped, so any of the modern drivers that have similar range of specs should be fine too:
Click Test with 'stretched' as in 'TIGHT AS A DRUM' stretched: Click Test | GM210 | Flickr
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Sorry to hear that GM . I have been having some health problems so I haven’t been here for a while. Feeling better now I hope everyone has a Happy New Year !
@GM. Let me know if I can help you in any way my friend.
@ Dimitrov Welcome and look forward to seeing your project.
Thank you, GM!!!
Hi
I need help about the project! I haven't knowledge to calculate the port I was thinking to try to tune this enclosure to 25 or close to 25hz. Is it possible? Internal dimensions 116cm H, 72cm W, 46.8cm deep at the top, 54.8 deep at the bottom. So all the walls are 90 degrees, except the front wall. I have only drowning for bass port. No cuts. So basically every kind of shape and length ,size of the port is possible.
I need to have low but good bass!
Regards
Can someone help me finishing the project?
Bookmarks